OCEAN GROVE PRIMARY SCHOOL
Social and Emotional Learning Awards at OGPS
At OGPS we strive for excellence in each of the Social and Emotional Learning Areas. At the start of every school year, we run a program for every student called ‘Growing to be our best’. This program explicitly teaches our children about each of the award areas and explores what they look like in action.
We are very proud of how the Social and Emotional Learning Awards are part of all we do here at Grove!
Weekly Social and Emotional Learning Awards
In previous years, our students have received a 7C award at the weekly assembly. By the end of the year, each child should have had their fifteen seconds of fame, feeling proud of their achievements. However, does this really help our students in the long run? Jane Fonda said, “You don’t learn from successes; you don’t learn from awards; you don’t learn from celebrity; you only learn from wounds and scars and mistakes and failures.” Do our student awards really help them learn? Do they build resilience when they know they are guaranteed at least one award every year?
This year, we have had discussions with students and staff, looked at best practise, done lots of thinking and have decided to adjust the way we do awards. Instead of having a 7C award, we will have an SEL Award (Social Emotional Learning). These awards will be presented at either Junior or Senior Assemblies for now, and then only at Whole School Assemblies when we are allowed to start again. This will mean that your child may not receive an award this year at school. The students who receive an award will have really earned it; their award will really be meaningful and genuine. Can you imagine the excitement on your child’s face when they receive an award that they have really earned? We feel that this will also help our students develop their resilience, and as English ski-jumper and Olympian Eddie the Eagle said, “Resilience can go an awful long way.”
Senior School Awards
One student from each class in years 5-6 will receive a Social and Emotional award every month.
Students involved: 5 – 6
Students may be eligible to receive awards in the following categories at the end of each semester:
- Sports Colours
- Arts Colours
- Academic Colours
- Community Colours
Students will demonstrate point total evidence to teachers during House meetings.
- Demonstrate a clear record of cooperation as a member of the school.
- Suspension or significant detentions may render a student ineligible to gain points for one term.
- Demonstrate a consistent record of attendance at school events – Apple Fair, House Days.
- Full participation and attendance in relevant events for each category.
- Full compliance with school dress code for specific categories.
- Students apply for badges on the pro-forma available from the SLC.
- Applications should be supported by appropriate documentation.
- Applications for semester two start week one in term one and close at the end of that week. Applications for semester one start week one in term three and close at the end of that week.
- Seconded staff members in a student’s house will review all applications.
- Colours will be badges and will be awarded during assemblies.
For full details of points and a record form, please see the file below.